Doctor Who quote

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and... bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. And we definitely added to his pile of good things."
The Doctor - Vincent and the Doctor

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day of delirium #17 - No Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda!

Going Bonkers article #3 - No Regrets! How to Leave the Past Behind by Larina Kase PsyD, MBA

There are seven common causes of regret:

1. Acts you committed, but wish you hadn't.
2. Acts you didn't commit, but wish you had.
3. Acts others committed, that in some way, you feel responsibility for.
4. Acts others didn't commit, that in some way, you feel responsibility for.
5. Acts of fate or circumstances, that in some way, you feel you could have changed.
6. Inevitable losses, that in some way, you feel you could have prevented.
7. Comparisons that you make, where you don't measure up.

Luckily there are numerous ways to deal with regret and get rid of it from your life.


A. Take Action

Not taking action is the number one cause of regret and I am sure we have all been there. One might regret that they didn't go to see Rob Pattinson at the Remember Me premiere that was near their home. While this is a valid regret, how can you get rid of it from your life? Take action and the next time there is a premier that he will be at near your home, attend it. Or realize that you can do without seeing him at a premier because you don't want to deal with all the people that would be there and let it go as a regret, as you realize you might not have enjoyed it with all the people screaming for him there anyway.


B. Make Friends with Failure
I am sure many of you are saying "I am such good friends with failure and that is my problem." but that it not what this item is saying. It is saying listen to your failure as you would a friend and learn from it. See the failure as a way to get to where you want to end up. I think the easiest example is a failed relationship. While you might view it as a failure there is much to learn from this and use towards your next relationship.

I was in a long term relationship, when I went away for a summer to work. While I was away I made some decisions about this relationship and decided that I no longer wanted to pursue it. When I called to break it off, as I wanted to do it before I arrived home to give him time to prepare and deal on his own with it, he of course called me some bad names and didn't understand. We were both very upset but failing in this relationship showed both of us what we really wanted in a relationship. He wanted children and I didn't and his next relationship led him to having children. If we had stayed together that may never have happened for him. I felt smothered in the relationship and like I was always competing with him and I realized I needed some one more independent and secure in themselves and I found that and it works much better for me. So while we failed together, we used the information from the failure to help us move on and find what we really wanted the next time around.


C. Train Your Brain
You can choose not to live in regret. Sounds simple, right? It isn't and each person is different when it comes to this one. For me, I have found simple regrets do me no good, so I let them go. But sometimes I hold on to certain items and for those I tell myself that they are waiting for the right moment to teach me something and that moment has not appeared yet.


D. Don't "Should" on Yourself
Ohhh this is the one that does me in. I never viewed it as regret but after reading this article I see that it is. I am a 'shoulda' extraordinaire. I constantly should have done something, said something, did something different. My only saving grace is that when I met my now hubby he was working on this aspect in his life and he taught me that it does not get me anywhere BUT that I can use it to fix my future. If I say I should have went to the premiere to see Rob and I still want to the next time around, then I go, no questions asked. I work very hard to only should of once. The article offers that you should (needed one here) write down all the times you "should of" during a week. Then go back and question the should ofs. If you say "I should have known this post would take longer than expected" I have to question that and ask myself how would I have known that. I can't just accept that I should have known and since I couldn't have known, so the next time I won't should of it.


E. Focus Forward
Best advice and some of the hardest again - Focus on what you what and where you want to go and not on the past. If you aren't learning from your mistakes then either you will wallow in them or you will decide to let them go and move forward in your life. Visualizing your goal is the best way to achieve your goal. If I am afraid to give a presentation at my office because once I messed one up, I just visualize myself preparing the speech, giving the speech and then hearing the applause (because you know it would be awesome) and maybe even seeing a standing ovation (just kidding) but doing this has helped me be able to give presentations again and perform them at a higher level. I have never actually had a standing ovation but that's ok as they are always better in my head anyway ;)


F. No Second Guessing
Many of our regrets can be released just on the basis that we didn't have the information at the time and that hindsight is 20/20. If I invest in a stock and it doesn't do well, will I regret it? Yes most likely but if I remind myself that I researched it extensively and that I have no control over the stock market, then I need to release the regret as I did all I could with the information I had at the time.


G. Could You Really Have Done Better?
The crux of it all. There are three parts to this action 1) Recognize that the world is not perfect, 2) Learn to accept that you did the best you could with the information you had and 3) Determine whether it really is true that you could have done better, and if so, how can you better prepare for the next time? This seems to pull all the above information into one spot. I used to jump the Long Jump in high school for our track team. I rarely placed but one time I came in the dreaded fourth place, just out of the rankings. And worse I came in fourth by 1/2 an inch. Oooohhh that was hard to deal with. If only I had practiced the day before and just run a little faster down the runway during the meet maybe I would have made up the 1/2 inch. To put this situation into perspective following #1: if I could have had a perfect practice the day before, slept for 9 hours and eaten perfectly maybe then I could have jumped that 1/2 inch more and came in 3rd. But life is life and I lived it the best I could. For #2: I trained as much as I could and followed my coach's training so could I really have done better? Perhaps I did the best I could with the skills I have. For #3: I most likely did the best my skill set would allow for that day, now the next time I will implement something else and see if that can put me into third place for the next meet. Then I also thought, I came in 4th place out of 20 athletes and while 4th place is out of the rankings, 4th out of 20 is pretty darn good. I decided to be proud of that accomplishment and not regret missing the rankings. And maybe you think that is not true as I easily recreated this story for this post, I truly don't regret it BUT I don't forget it. I retain it so I can use it for future reference if I need it and I do pull it out often.

Lastly, remember most regrets come from NOT doing something or saying something, so for just one day, DO IT. Do the thing you are most scared of, say something you might not normally say and when you get to the end of the day without a regret, rejoice in it.


So what are your regrets? And if they are affecting your life negatively, then how can we get you past them? Let me know in the comments or in a private email if you would rather to dangrdafne@gmail.com

15 comments:

twilightcupcake said...

Another article that we should all have stored in our back pocket for positive self talk. I'll have to tuck this away and read it in detail next time something stupid/embarrassing or worse happens. There are too many things to even delve into here and rehash as - yes, I have moved on and usually forgiven myself for them and figured I did the best I could.
Remind me about this next time I'm having a bad day!

Musing Bella said...

Oh, I'm totally a shoulda-er. I always think of what I should have said or should have done. I do try to let it go, but it's hard.

Thanks for this post! I, too, am bookmarking it and coming back here next time I get carried away by regret...

Twired Jen said...

I agree with TC & MB, totally worth bookmarking and reading in detail at a later time, SHOULD something warrant a reminder.
xo
J

Nessa Lomiva said...

This is amazing. I am currently reading a psychology book on how to stop worrying. More often than not, I regret the things I did/said, more so than when I'm passive. You know, I never realized this until now. Interesting. Do you make anything of it?

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of an immediate regret...not reading it sooner.
I'm reading "To The Lighthouse" right now, because I am a glutton for punishment...but anyway, Virginia Woolf goes into great detail about getting to 'R'. If A-Z is how we rank ourselves, and Z is accomplished by one in a century, and R is accomplished by one in a generation...what do we do if we are stuck at Q? I feel this way...all the time. Like I have my fingertips on something great but then it slips away. I don't know how to get to Q...but I want to badly.

Dangrdafne said...

@ Twilightcupcake - I will do my best to remind you of this post when the time comes :)

@Musing Bella - Instead of letting go, maybe try to do what you think you might should of or go back and take care of the should of if you can. I have done that. I have gone back to people and said "I wish I had said this..." and I tell them. It helps.

@ TwiredJen - I guarantee a should will come up for us all and we will come running :)

@ Jelena - So you are saying that you regret more when you aren't just passive about something and let it slide??

@ Mrs. P - Ooohhh how I love that book. If you want help to move to Q, I would need to know what you think your Q is and why you think you can't get there (or examples of when you have felt Q slipping way). In my best Frasier Crane voice "I'm listening" :)

Anonymous said...

"Your best Frasier Crane"....LOLOL!!! I have to think about that, because as they say...be careful what you wish for. I will get back to you...

17foreverlisa said...

The biggest regret I have is not staying in shape. I was a cheerleader; played softball, volleyball, and tennis; used to water ski. Now the most activity I get is running the vacuum cleaner. Just can't seem to find the motivation, either. My family has a history of high blood pressure, border-line diabetes, and my dad (who is in excellent shape), has had a double bypass and several stents. If that's not enough to scare the shit out of me, I don't know what is. Yet, there I sit :(

Dangrdafne said...

@17ForeverLisa - Well it isn't about scaring you obviously, as you have some excellent fodder for that but alas it has not provoked you to move. It is about making a choice for yourself. What are your usual excuses for not exercising? Why don't you want to be healthier, thinner or whatever it is you are trying to be? Let me know here or in an email, if you want, no obligations.

TongueTwied said...

Regrets. Yeah I've got a basket full of them! It is very kind of you to offer to let me unload on you Dafne! I'm going to refer to your provided info on a different day and instead, if you don't mind, offer up a few positive things I have done as of late so I would not have regrets about it later.

1. I started my blog.
2. I started writing an actual manuscript.
3. For a couple of months I cyberstalked, err...I mean kept tabs on a couple of guys from my teen years who were really good to me and finally decided to email them to tell them so and wish them well in their lives. I didn't need to reconnect and hang out with them, I just wanted to say hi and let them know that when I think back on those days (which I had done a lot since reading Twilight) that I especially had fond memories of them. It was something I suddenly felt strongly about doing-probably the combined effects of Twilight, the passing of a friend, and that darn Kris Allen song "You've got to live like your dying."

Both guys were very receptive to hearing from me, which was great. One even told me he had a crush on me back then. **giggles**

Dangrdafne said...

@ Tongue Twied - I am here when you are ready. I must say, you definitely have the hang of this post. You contacting the people in your past just to tell them your thoughts is wonderful. It is actually something I need to do and you may just have inspired me to do it - thank you.

TongueTwied said...

@DD-Hope you do it! I really don't have the hang of anything. I just figured telling you those 3 positive things was a whole lot shorter than the regrets.

"I can't bring myself to regret watching twilight, it's what brought me to Robward!"

lol That's especially for LWE!

Black Box said...

My biggest regrets are missed oppurtinities that I didn't take for reasons like not thinking I'm capable of doing things and failing at them I guess. Not having the ability to do something. Just now I'm starting to realize that focus and drive make things happen not just natural ability. I'm finally starting to try new things and it is a little scary but I love it.


@TT: I think I just figured out a new punishment that would be cost effective for our prisons to utilise. It's called Twilight Quote Torture. If it works on me, who LOVES Twilight, think of what it would do to all those criminal minds. Bring them to their knees, that's what!

Nessa Lomiva said...

Actually, Mrs. P. described perfectly how I feel. I must get me my hands on that book. I will email you DD.

Jayla said...

ugh- this was hard to read.. it's so me. i will come back a reread this post :-)

regrets: oh i have many, but not being true to myself is the worst and i'm still paying for it.